Thursday, October 22, 2009

WIll microsoft send me a replacement copy of XP in DVD format?

Basically, my computer desperately needs to be reformatted. Its a Sony Vaio, a few years old. I have no idea where the original XP disc is, but i have the serial number on the sticker that came with it which is attached to the bottom.



Unfortunately, to make matters worse, the CD-ROM functionality of the drive is no more, and it will only read DVDs, so even if I had the CD, it wouldn't do me any good.



So basically I'd like to know if microsoft sends out replacement copies of XP to registered users, and if so how much they would charge, and if it would be possible to request it on DVD.



Any help or any options I haven't thought of would really be appreciated! As far as I know I can't boot from USB, because this laptop is not that new.



Thanks!



WIll microsoft send me a replacement copy of XP in DVD format?computers



I have never used Microsoft's replacement program, but I listed their link below. However, I am sure that XP installation disks do not come in a DVD-Rom version. Anyway, the CD should load from your DVD drive (as long as you have it selected as the boot drive).



Additionally, you could try the TechMedia company (under links). They sell replacement recovery disk sets, with the full operating system and all the original drivers for just about any PC. And, they are very reasonable.



Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment